Sunday, January 31, 2010

Why Andres Bonifacio

The movie on my mind has been on incubation for quite a while now. Not that I lack the willpower to bring it to fruition, but its epic scope and the magnitude of the multi-faceted controversy it might bring about paces its creation.

Partly historical, partly social, the film hopes to be an inspiring legacy to my bewildered Philippines, forever caught in the evil contraptions of the big "C" Corruption and the deafening indifference of a people towards misdeeds of the powerful few.

The film will probably gain for me some degree of acceptance in an industry where popularity, rather than hard work and talent, thrives. But beyond that, the film will strive to invoke substantive insights on the last days of the life of a forgotten hero. How he had been betrayed, how he started a Revolution that led to my country's independence, how he was killed by rival factions hungry for power....and how all that seems to be a repetition of what's going on today.

The story has to be told. What he stood for, what he really died for... The film is about a true Pilipino, my national hero: Andres Bonifacio.


On the first day of another new month, I wrote this to a blogger whose site I stumbled upon today: Anything for Material: This Writer's Life...

You're saving my life, Julie :) Learning to write and accepting my imperfections have been the most daunting parts of my creative endeavors. At times, I feel inadequate, but reading through your blog pages stabilizes me now in affirming that writing is indeed a treacherous journey... that it takes more than Time to build... and that I'm not alone in the writer's struggle. Thank you for sharing from the heart, Julie.

No comments: